Friday, February 27, 2009

Book Club: My Sister's Keeper

Our book for February '09 was My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Excellent Choice. I am two for two in terms of enjoying Ms. Picoult's books and will definitely pick up another title on my next trip to the book store. This book was a heart felt tale about the struggle of a family dealing with a disease [leukemia] that was dominating their world. The chapters are written in the point of view of different characters and the reader gets into the mind of each, knowing and feeling their pain/situations. This book comes highly recommended by me.

Book Club Treats:
Leukemia is represented by the color orange [as breast cancer is pink], so in relation to the theme of My Sister's Keeper, Jennifer made carrot cake cupcake treats with cream cheese frosting--and they were beyond delicious. Jennifer really spoils the crap out of our fun little group!
In addition to the cupcakes, I went to the store and got tiny containers, put official-looking labels on them [to mirror what you might see when giving a urine sample at the doctor's office] and put apple juice in them--one for each member of the group. This is mimicking a humorous part of the book--and to find out what that is, you will have to pick up a copy!

3 comments:

Blonde Barrister said...

Such fun! Is it bad that I am sad that I don't get to cook for next month? I might have to sneak something in anyway.........

NduguNStephie said...

HAHAHA Apple Juice urine cups! HAHAHA!

Did you know that if you drink too much apple juice.. it makes you shit? Cool fact.. huh!

NduguNStephie said...

PS. I want a cupcake!