Monday, December 29, 2008
On July 30th, I posted a (very glowing, I'm sure) book review for The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. One of the gifts I received from my Secret Pal this year was the sequel to this book called Knit Two . I was very excited--because I was unaware that she had written a sequel--but I didn't know how much I would like it since [SPOILER ALERT!] the main character died in the first book! Knit Two turned out to be good--the relationships with the women that the main character, who died, in the first book helped to develop--were still strong and each was dealing with her own issues. There were A LOT of story lines that went on throughout the book and a reader has to keep the mind sharp to keep up with them all--too many characters for my taste. The book was good, though, and I would read a third if it came out, but that may be due to principle--I have to finish a series once I begin it!
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
My first favorite thing is Twisted Peppermint hand soap by Bath and Body Works. I love the way my hands feel and smell after I use this Christmas time specialty--plus it comes in a cute little bottle with peppermint stripes!!
My second favorite thing is a gift from my Secret Pal this year: Rosebud Salve. I've gone 28 years and had no idea what I was missing out on (since this company has apparently been around since 1908). I find myself applying this stuff every hour and my lips have never been softer! One place to find this stuff is at Sephora. I love you, Rosebud Salve!!
My third favorite thing, which really should have been first, but I'm already partway through my list and don't want to delete anything, is the Apple IPhone. I love it, I love it, I love it!!! I never wanted one and did not see the fascination in them until we went out with Andrea, who got one for Mother's Day. She showed us so many cool things that the phone did, plus she let me play with it, and I fell in love. Our courtship is still going strong.
My fourth favorite thing is perfume by Ann Taylor called 'Possibilities'. The scent is fragrant, but light! I wear it every day, and I go through three bottles a year. This is mommy's special perfume!
My fifth favorite thing is the Victoria's Secret Pink line. I love the bright, girly colors and the comfort of lounge clothes! They are tres chic and I would wear them every day if I could. Well, I pretty much do!
My sixth favorite thing is Seven Jeans for All Man Kind. It is always very hard for me to find a pair of jeans that fits well and usually depressing for me to go jean-shopping. Thanks to Andrea (once again) for telling me that a great place to find good jeans is Gils in Nichols Hills, I was able to find my new favorite pair of jeans ever (and most expensive pair, but I plan on wearing them to scraps!) I love you Seven!
My seventh favorite things is a new tv show: Kath & Kim (this does not replace my love for Ghost Hunters!). At first, this show seemed uber-lame to me, but my DVR kept recording it, so one day when I was bored, I watched it and it is now my new favorite show on Must See TV! I used to HATE Selma Blair, but I love her now…I love this show. It makes me happy!!! Also, this is the only show on television where I do NOT fast forward through the opening credits--they are so fun!!
My eighth (and last for this particular list) favorite thing(s) is Hostess Cupcakes. I can literally eat a box in one sitting - which I contribute to my rotund waistline!!! Who doesn't like the bite of something sweet with frosting in the middle? A crazy person, that's who! Hostess Cupcakes - I love every bite of you!!!
Monday, December 8, 2008
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
This morning I got to work and instead of my requested 60" Plasma TV, I had a little treat in my stocking, surely delivered by one of Santa's Elves:
Here is what was inside, I guess I've been a Bad Girl:
Ha! This was great! It took a couple of tries to find the culprit--but I found the little elf! Her name is Amanda and she TOTALLY made my Wednesday rock!! (play on words...coal, rock, get it??)
Hard at Work:
Now Santa needs to come and fill the empty space beneath the tree!!
Jadyn and Ethan:
Table One (the 'grown up' table):
Table Two (the 'kid' table):
Monday, November 24, 2008
Monday, November 17, 2008
My sister found an 8K Turkey Trot (4.97 miles) which runs on Thanksgiving that I really really want to do; however, that is ten days away and I'm only at 1.5 miles, so as the Magic 8 Ball would say: Outlook Not So Good. I'm not going to give up, though...I like having goals, even if they are impossible to reach! My ultimate goal is to run the half marathon in April with my sister and since it is five months away, I still feel optimistic about that! Okay, so this marks the end of my training update for this week...catch up on the subject again next week! Stay tuned!!
I mean...I feel like it was just yesterday that I was stuck in the Penn Square parking garage for 30 minutes trying to exit due to all of the Christmas traffic and, alas, it is all starting up again.
It feels like just yesterday I was sitting in a waiting room intently listening for the first cries of my nephew and, alas, he is going to be a one year old on Saturday.
It feels like just yesterday that I rocked my beautiful baby girl to sleep and, alas, she is now an eight year old teenager (yeah, that's not a typo).
"Thirty Years Old" always seemed the distant future to me and it is going to be a reality in less than two years...how time flies by...faster and faster...
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Monday, November 3, 2008
The kids (a skeleton and a ninja!):
Our kids feigning exhaustion on top of their stashes:
My parents, the kids...and the electronic grim reaper:
Friday, October 31, 2008
My Walk in front of the Judges:
Tina-Fey-Impersonating-Sarah-Palin and Obama:
Monday, October 27, 2008
1. I am 28 years old
2. I am a Gemini born in the year of the Monkey
3. I love monkeys
4. I have a wonderful husband, beautiful daughter and amazing stepson
5. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in English
6. I went to Oklahoma State University for the first two years of my education and graduated from the University of Central Oklahoma
7. I am an avid Oklahoma State Cowboys fan!
8. I became a mother four months after my 20th birthday
9. I went to the same school from 5th to 12th grade
10. I love to eat sweets!
11. I have only had one cavity in my entire life (knock on wood!)
12. I weigh more right now than I did on my final day of pregnancy (yikes!)
13. I love to read
14. I love to watch television/movies
15. I am deathly afraid of spiders (yes, deathly)
16. I think Adriana Lima is the most beautiful woman in the world
17. I have a not-so-secret crush on Ryan Phillippe
18. I have a not-so-secret crush on Ewan McGregor
19. My all time favorite movie is Party Girl
20. I played field hockey in grade school and high school
21. I love celebrity gossip
22. I have been sent to the principal's office twice in my lifetime
23. I am guilty of watching - and loving - The Hills
24. I used to work at a pigeon museum
25. I am on a kickball team
26. I love the Beatles
27. I love Stone Temple Pilots
28. I love Eminem
29. I used the word loquacious the night I met my husband and he's never let me forget it.
30. I got married 13 days after my 22nd birthday
31. I am afraid of flying
32. My aunt and uncle were killed in a plane crash when I was 14 years old
33. I was a total nerd in high school (still am!)
34. I've been friends with my BFF for 17 years
35. I want to be an English teacher one day
36. My first pet was a dog named Bo-Bo
37. I've been to almost every state in the continental U.S.
38. My parents sent me to Las Vegas for my 21st birthday
39. Family is very important to me
40. My favorite book is Catcher in the Rye
41. One time I went outside to find a neighbor I had never met so he could come into my house and kill a spider. It was big.
42. My favorite color is purple
43. If I could be reincarnated, I would want to be an elephant. Or a tree.
44. I am intimidated by large groups
45. I took piano lessons for five years, but cannot play anything more complex than chopstix
46. Some days, I hate my job
47. I kickASS at Scrabble
48. I am super-competitive
49. I had kidney stones when I was 23 years old
50. I've had pre-cancerous moles removed within the past month
51. My favorite television shows are currently Big Bang Theory and Ghost Hunters
52. Growing up, my family drove from Oklahoma City to Mission Viejo, CA every Christmas break
53. I wanted to be 17 years old forever
54. I was basketball manager in 8th grade
55. I want to travel to London before I pass on
56. Christina Aguilera is my favorite female vocalist
57. I LOVE LUCY!
58. I was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut
60. My first car was a 1996 green Mitsubishi Eclipse
61. I have shoplifted before--and I am not proud of it!
62. My ethnicity is Mexican, Indian, Swedish and Russian
63. I get terrible road rage
64. My favorite candy is Peanut M&M's
65. I hate okra
66. I was a latch-key kid when I was 8 years old and my sister was 6
67. I have to wash my hair every day or it gets greasy and gross
68. I love to watch my daughter play soccer
69. I recently discovered that I'm a Democrat
70. I love to gamble, I love casinos
71. When I was 13, I caught meningitis and almost died. I strongly believe a man that came to visit me, Les Hunt, said a prayer that saved my life
72. I love to walk through cemeteries
73. The first movie my husband took me to see was 'There's Something About Mary'
74. I am the most average person ever - just like Bella in the Twilight Series, which means I'd make an exceptional vampire!
75. I have perfect feet
76. I love playing games, all sorts
77. My husband and I have been together for more than 10 years, married for more than 6
78. I hate minivans and station wagons
79. I was a nanny in highschool and my first two years of college
80. The only bone I've ever broken is my big toe
81. White Chocolate Mocha is the only coffee I will drink
82. I tend to get bored easily
83. I despise fruit flavored candy (exception: Twizzlers)
84. I cannot swim in public bodies of water
85. I love Haunted Houses/Forests
86. I am a control freak and that quality is imprinted in my daughter
87. I worked as a carhop and fountain girl at Sonic in highschool
88. I was raised Episcopalian
89. My favorite holidays are Halloween and Valentines Day
90. I have one nephew and I love him to death!
91. I have only one living grandparent that I love dearly
92. I've lived in Connecticut, California and Oklahoma, respectively
93. I love to play pinochle (the card game)
94. My favorite summer was in 1994 when my sister and I got to spend 3 weeks in Connectictut with our grandparents
95. I hate bad grammar
96. I love the PINK line at Victoria's Secret
97. I recycle. I recycle HARD
98. I brush my teeth 2x/day. No Exceptions.
99. Our honeymoon was spent on a cruise in Mexico. We visited Carmen de la Playa and Cozumel
100. I am voting for Obama
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Our group choice for the month of October is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, the first book in a captivating saga about a vampire (Edward Cullen) and a human (Isabella Swan) who fall in love. My sister brought this book to my attention a couple of months ago and warned me that the series would be addicting...she has never been more correct. I swiftly conquered Twilight and moved onto the second book, New Moon and the third book, Eclipse in one week's time. I began the fourth, and final, book Breaking Dawn over the weekend and found myself reading it more slowly, as I know when it's over--there is no more. I've even broken one of my book rules for this series: All of the books on my bookshelf must match in terms of hardback and paperback. The first two books in this series are already in paperback, but the last two are not. In fact, Eclipse doesn't make it in paperback until May 2009 and I needed to satisfy my vampire/werewolf cravings immediately!!
What could be better than losing yourself in a series of incredible books? A movie!!! Twilight the movie will be out in theaters on November 21, 2008 and that cannot come fast enough for me. I watch the trailer, on average, 10 times a day (much more sometimes)...over and over to see if I missed something the first time! The characters they have picked for Edward and Bella are PERFECT. This is definitely an opening night Must-See for me. If you'd like to see the trailer, go here: www.twilightthemovie.com but it may not be as appealing if you haven't read the book.
Here are the covers of each book in the series (in order, of course):
Monday, October 6, 2008
The Cake. As you can see, Jadyn is on the front of this cake made by her grandmother Anna (AK Bakes)--and she is with all three of her boyfriends: The Jonas Brothers!! (This also resembles the front of her invites, too--sans Jade's picture!)
The Gift. Jadyn has been begging for a hamster for the past six months, so her dad and I bent the 'no pets' rule and surprised her with one. Here is her new hamster--and his name has gone from 'Harry' to 'Chocolate' to 'Goober' to 'Goofer'...so I guess he doesn't have a name right now, but he did bite Jadyn twice, so we're off to a good start!
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
(Yes, their jerseys do look like they have a picture of a stripper on it...or maybe something you would picture on the mudflap of an eighteen-wheeler!)
Monday, September 22, 2008
Julie and Me:
Julie, Kelly and Me:
Kelly and Andy:
Our 1998 Graduating Class:
The Group Reading Game Results:
The Sweaty Birthday Boy after laster tag: