Monday, January 21, 2013

2013 Goals for this Runner Girl

I started this year with wide eyes and determination.  I made life goals, 2013 goals and running goals.  It is the 21st day of the year and, so far, everything remains on track--and I am optimistic that I will not falter.

My ultimate goal in life is to find a sense of happiness.  I aim to achieve this through bi-weekly therapy sessions and repeating the mantra "Let It Go" through my head any time that I feel the anger building up.  So far, it has worked--I particularly use this method during rush hour traffic.  It's AMAZING how well it works.  A smaller, and probably less practical, method I am using is listening to classical music all day during work.  I read that it is supposed to soothe the mind and bring calmness and peace.  Sign me up!

Another goal that I have set for myself is to obtain my Master's degree.  I started my first class last week and I've never been more excited to be in school.  After a 10 year absence, it is thrilling to sit in a classroom and talk about something you are passionate about (Literature).  There are a number of directions I could take after receiving my degree--one of them being the fact that I accomplished something just for me--but I don't know which route I would like to take yet.

Finally...for 2013...I would like to increase my running ability, depending on how my body reacts to longer distances.  I have signed up for a Half Marathon in March, located in Dallas, Texas, in which I am by no means ready.  The Frozen Nose series that I am participating in (5K/8K/10K) is what I am using to help increase my distance for a full 13.1 miles.  I have other 5K's that I will be running to maintain my stamina and I have amazing running friends and groups that help to keep me on my toes.

So...2013 has only just begun but my outlook is one of optimism and hope.

 

No comments: