Thursday, September 13, 2012

Kickball - Public Enema No. 2


Yes, yes...more kickball...but the best thing about having a blog diary is that I get to write about whatever I want.  It's pretty fantastic.

In the Oklahoma metro area, there are a couple of different kickball leagues in which one can participate. Our league is recreational at a sports complex in north Oklahoma City. Other leagues, located downtown, midtown and in Edmond, are WAKA leagues. The rules are a bit different, the ball sizes vary and WAKA is more competitive; yet, at the same time, I feel like WAKA focuses more on drinking and it's a bit less organized. A friend of mine plays on WAKA and because his team was the champion team, they are flying to Las Vegas in October to play in the championship. That's pretty cool.

When I tell people I play kickball, they laugh. They think it's so silly-- "Oh, I played kickball...in THIRD GRADE". I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten this response or very similar responses. When you play as an adult (alcoholic consumption included), it is so different. I can hardly even put into words how much fun I have out on the field--I look forward to every Wednesday night. Even when my team wasn't that great, I couldn't wait to get out there and play ball. So, unless you are a kickball player, you will never appreciate the love for the sport. All types of people are out there. It's a wonderful experience.  A great time.

Last night I played four games of kickball--that's four hours straight of nonstop madness.  I loved every second of it.  Since my team was playing at 7:30/9:30, I had the 6:30/8:30 slots open and a friend of mine was in need of a girl on their team (one rule in kickball is that you have to have a minimum of four girls to play or you get automatic outs), so since his games were opposite mine, I happily offered my services.

My friend's team (pictured above) is called Public Enema No. 2.  They are all doctors, so the name is pretty cute...but their athleticism is marginal--only because they spend so many hours in the hospital.  They have a couple natural abilities, but other than that, the team ranks pretty low in the league.  These are just facts, they mean nothing to me, I am not the best kickball player myself (although I am the best female catcher in our league)...but I love the sport.  I also enjoy the people I have met, they are all so different from each other. 

Anyway...we (Public Enema) lost our first game by one run.  We played an excellent team, so the fact that Public Enema lost by one run is pretty amazing.  My second game was with my team and we run ruled our opponents.  It was a fantastic game and I was completely warmed up.  My catcher skills were stellar and I continued through the rest of the night on top of my game.  The third game I played was with Public Enema and they won.  THEY WON!  Their first victory of the Fall season and I got to be a part of it!  I love it.  The last game I played (again, with my team) was an easy win.  I think the final score was 16-1.

So.  Kickball to me is like crack.  I am addicted--but being addicted to a good time isn't so bad.

[As you can see in the picture, I have my regular team's uniform on...and my friend is the guy next to me. He's a cutie, for sure.]




No comments: