Thursday, February 16, 2012

Friendship Review 2012

A good friend is really hard to find and, as I get older, I'm finding it harder and harder to find someone who fits the mold. Of course, I've been told that I'm an elitist when it comes to certain things; however, I find that my definition of friendship is not unreasonable:

A true friend is someone you can always count on. Someone you can confide in and who is loyal--a true friend is someone you can trust. And vice versa on all of that. (and when it comes to loyalty, I am the best of friends--I will go to bat for any one of my little chickens!)


I got married really young and together we made friends. But sometimes marriages don't always work out and friends feel as if they need to pick one person over the other, while repeating over and over "I'll be both of your friends--separately". Yeah--that doesn't work so much. Let's just say that I was apparently not the 'fun' half of my marriage...which is sad because I loved so many of our couple friends.

So I've made a decision. Make new friends. I can do this, right? Join clubs. Go out, meet people? There's just one problem: I'm a total introvert, so the task ahead will be extremely difficult.

The thing is...the friends I do have? Amazing. Some of my favorites are at work with me--and I get to spend a mandatory 40-hours a week with them. So that's fun-- unless I become good friends with someone of the opposite sex and then there is gossip everywhere and people start judging--to the point where I feel I need to cut ties. Or maybe a friend whose reputation isn't stellar and I get lumped into the negative with her just because she's one of my favorite people.

Why should I let society dictate who I am friends with? If nothing bad is going on, if nobody is getting hurt...why should I cut off a friend if I'm actually happy?

I don't want to, but it seems almost inevitable, really.

I lost my best friend in the whole world last year. My best friend of 13 years--the person who was always there, who loved me despite everything and was loyal to a tee. I lost him because I'm a selfish bitch, I get that. Filling that hole in my heart feels impossible...but it would be nice to have friends that were always there. Who didn't flake. Who weren't fake and didn't pretend to be something they are not.

Hell...I need a chicken who will jump on a plane with me and have a carefree weekend in Vegas...we will call it "therapy"!

This post turned pretty bleak, didn't it? It wasn't supposed to be some depressing rant...and it wasn't supposed to be a match.com for friendship either. I just have so much bottled up inside and this is barely a glimpse. But it's what i'm dealing with at this moment...so there ya go.

5 comments:

Garrett Reid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric said...

So many potential friends and places to visit, so little time!

You've always struck me as adaptable, so I'm not worried about you at all. ;)

Lopez said...

Ha! Awe, Eric...adaptable? I'll take it...although it's totally false! :)

We shall see, we shall see, man.

NduguNStephie said...

Friends are super hard to find...I was just wondering where do people find friends...and it seems like work and church are the main places... well I obviously do not want to spend anymore time with the people I work with...and well church ...ahh.. no thanks...I don't think a friendship that started in church would go very far....

Anywho - I say who cares what society thinks and be friends with whomever you want...people gossip because they are jealous and really have nothing going on in their lives :)

Lopez said...

You know, I actually thought about joining a church, but then I realized that I just couldn't do that to myself. Not that I have anything against God--b/c I don't at all--but the people that go to church can be so self-righteous and judgmental. Seriously...I could not be myself around them and I would always be wondering if I was offending one of them. NO thank you, that relationship would not go well for me at all. Plus...i think a lot of them are fake as shit :)